Oncologists Urge You To Stop Eating These 8 Foods That Can Increase Your Cancer Risk
Medical experts consider cancer as a complex set of diseases. They also note that it can be triggered by various factors, including:
- Lifestyle factors like unhealthy diet, physical inactivity, tobacco use;
- Specific infections;
- Environmental exposure to various types of chemicals and radiation.
According to researches, following an unhealthy diet and being physically inactive could elevate your possibility of developing cancer.
It has been estimated by The World Cancer Research Fund that nearly 20% of the total American cancer cases are associated with poor diet, physical inactivity, weight gain, and excess consumption of alcohol.
However, like many other diseases, cancer is also a preventable disease. So, you can greatly lower your risk of cancer by:
- Eating a healthy diet rich in organic veggies and fruits;
- Giving up smoking;
- Exercising regularly;
- Maintaining a healthy body weight.
HERE IS THE LIST OF TOP 8 FOODS THAT CAN INCREASE YOUR CANCER RISK:
Refined and Artificial Sugary Foods
The excessive consumption of foods rich in refined sugar and artificial fructose sweeteners, such as high-fructose corn syrup causes the development of numerous health problems.
These foods increase insulin levels and boost cancer cell growth. The American Society for Clinical Nutrition journal published a study in 2006 which showed that the participants who consumed higher amounts of sugar-sweetened foods had an increased risk of pancreatic cancer.
Therefore, make sure you replace these foods with healthy and natural alternatives like stevia, raw honey, maple syrup, blackstrap molasses, or jaggery.
Red and Processed Meats
There are a lot of harmful preservatives and chemicals in processed meats, including bacon, sausage, ham, etc. Moreover, this type of meat also possesses extremely high amount of salt.
The Nutrition and Cancer journal published a study showing that the excess processed meat consumption could be linked to the development of colorectal cancer.
That’s not all, high read meat consumption can also elevate the persons risk of developing prostate and colorectal cancer.
So, you should exclude these foods from your diet. You should only eat grass-fed meat since it is a much healthier alternative than processed ones.
Smoked and Pickled Foods
The regular consumption of pickled and smoked foods endangers health, as the smoking process of smoked meats leaves numerous toxic ingredients in the meat, while pickled foods are high in nitrates which are transformed into N-nitroso, an ingredient which raises the cancer risk.
Plus, these foods are abundant in preservatives which ensure a longer shelf life and lead to cellular damage and cancer development. Hence, we recommend avoiding them completely.
Nowadays, there are a great number of processed food products containing refined white flour. However, refined white flour possesses high amounts of carbohydrates, which have negative impact on your health. Also, they can elevate the risk of developing cancer.
According to studies, women who consumed too much carbohydrates had a raised breast cancer risk. It has been also found that white flour consumption can cause increased sugar levels in the blood very quickly.
That is why you should replace refined white flour with other healthier alternatives such as quinoa, almond, whole-wheat, or barley flour.
Hydrogenated oils are converted into poisons when processed and manufactured. These oils are actually chemically extracted from vegetables in order to preserve and prolong the shelf life of processed foods.
Yet, they are high in trans fats and omega–6 fatty acids.
The small amount of these acids might be beneficial for health, but the higher amounts negatively affect the membrane’s structure and flexibility of cells, thus raising the risk of numerous cancer types, including skin cancer.
Trans fats, on the other hand, increase the risk of breast, prostate, and colorectal cancer. Therefore, you should use extra virgin coconut or olive oil instead.
Did you know that there is a chemical known as perfluorooctanoic acid present in the microwave popcorn bags that is extremely toxic?
There are a few studies conducted on the harmful effects of this chemical. In addition, researchers revealed that those people who had PFOA exposure at work had a greater risk of developing kidney and bladder cancer.
Another study found that this chemical can also result in impaired fertility in women.
Unluckily, microwave popcorn also possesses many GMO products and preservatives, including propyl gallate.
Farmed and wild salmon are two types with huge differences, as the latter offers numerous health benefits, while the first poses serious health risks.
The consumption of farmed salmon might, in fact, cause cancer.
Researchers have found that farmed salmon contain significantly higher levels of harmful chemicals and cancer-promoting ingredients, like mercury, dioxins, toxaphene, flame retardants, and polychlorinated biphenyls.
The manufacturing process of potato chips requires very high temperatures. It leads to the creation of acrylamide, which is a popular carcinogen.
The International Journal of Cancer published a study proving that this ingredient found in potato chips increases the possibility of developing breast, prostate, ovarian, and digestive tract cancer.
All of us know that potato chips are loaded with calories and fats that can lead to obesity, high blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and so on. Also, they possess many artificial preservatives and flavors. But, why are you still eating this type of food?
Considering all these findings, you should prepare potato chips at your home by using olive oil, rather than purchasing commercial potato chips. Plus, consider preparing baked banana or apple chips because they are healthier alternatives than potato chips.
Source: www.barenaturaltruth.com, healthyfoodhouse.com
15 Cancer Signs That Women Often Ignore
According to the CDC, an average of 69.8% of women over 50 have had a mammogram in the last two years (circa 2010), but cancer isn’t always caught in the screening tests and definitely won’t be found during a screening if you don’t have it done in the first place. Often when women suspect something, fear keeps them from talking to their doctor about it and that’s definitely the wrong way to go. Except in notable cases, if you think there’s something wrong, there probably is. Trust your instincts about your body, it could save your life.
Here are some symptoms, which are serious even if they don’t always mean cancer, people will often overlook or ignore that could be harmful in the long run:
1. Fatigue – If you are constantly feeling tired and the fatigue doesn’t get better, combined with other symptoms such as blood in your stool, go to a doctor immediately. Your doctor will give you blood tests and inquire your complete medical history in order to give a diagnosis.
2. Unexplained Weight Loss – Marleen Meyers MD, who is an oncologist at NYU Langone Medical Center says that in most cases an unintended weight loss is not a sign of cancer, but rather it is often caused by your thyroid or stress. However, sometimes it may be a symptom of pancreatic cancer. Furthermore, it can be a sign of lung cancer or stomach cancer as well. In order to make sure it is not cancer, visit your doctor. You may have to do many tests to define the problem, such as imaging tests (CT scans) or blood tests.
3. Unexplained Pain – Numerous conditions can cause pain, but chronic pain that is unexplained and lasts a month or even more can indicate brain cancer, bone cancer, or other kinds of cancers. Consult your doctor about any pains that are suspicious, unexplained and prolonged.
4. Fever – Getting sick or feverish more frequently than you normally would could be an early sign of leukemia, which is cancer of the blood. It triggers the body to produce abnormal white blood cells and saps its ability to fight infections by weakening the immune system. Flu-like symptoms, such as achiness and fever, should also be paid attention to.
5. Heartburn – Stress, alcohol or overeating (or all three) can provoke a serious heartburn. Dr. Meyers recommends making changes in your diet for a week or two to see if the heartburn gets better.
6. Coughing – This is no doubt one of the most common and over looked symptom on this list. It is also the most diverse. There are numerous different causes and reasons that can make people cough. Most times coughs are temporary and trivial in nature. However, when the cough continues for more than few weeks you should be concerned. If during the cough you feel short of breath or in pain it could be a sign of something serious. If you start coughing up blood, then it is most certainly something serious. People who smoke should pay extra attention to coughing, because it is the most common symptom of lung cancer.
7. Lymph Node Changes – The lymph nodes are tiny, bean-shaped glands located all around the body. Most of the changes in the lymph nodes are caused by common infections. However, some cancers, such as lymphoma and leukemia, can also cause swelling of the lymph nodes. Meyers says that It is a recommended to see your doctor if you have a swelling or a lump anywhere in your body for more than few weeks.
8. Skin Changes – Changes in the color, the shape or the size of a mole or some other spot is a common indicator of skin cancer. Visit your doctor for a complete exam and maybe a biopsy. This time you really don’t want to wait.
9. Breast Changes – Most breast lumps aren’t cancer, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be investigated by a doctor anyway. Other changes may include: nipples that suddenly are inverted, nipple discharge, skin dimpling or puckering, (often called orange-peel skin) and scaliness or redness of the nipple or skin of the breast. This goes for everyone, not only women suffer from breast cancer.
10. Mouth Changes – Sores in the mouth that never seem to heal, or white or red patches on the gums or tongue, could be signs of oral cancer. This is also true for any swelling or numbness of the jaw. If these symptoms persist for longer than two weeks, then you must see a doctor.
11. Trouble Swallowing – Difficult or painful swallowing caused by a sore throat that persists over a few weeks is a common sign of throat or stomach cancer. It could even be an early sign of lung cancer.
12. Between Period Bleeding – In premenopausal women a bleeding that’s not a part of the usual monthly cycle can be caused by many factors. In any case, let your doctor rule out endometrial cancer first. This is a cancer of the lining of your uterus.
13. Bloating – Marleen Meyers says that women are natural bloaters. However, she also says that If your symptoms happen with bleeding or weight loss or they don’t get better with time, go see a doctor. Chronic bloating can sometimes indicate ovarian cancer. You will have to do blood tests as well as a pelvic exam, and sometimes maybe even an ultrasound.
14. Blood in stool or Urine – If you’re bleeding from a part of your body that normally isn’t supposed to bleed, consult a doctor, especially if the bleeding lasts more than a day. Blood in the stool is often from hemorrhoids, however it can also be a sign of a colon cancer. Blood in the urine is usually caused by urinary tract infections, but it is also the first sign of bladder cancer or kidney cancer, stated Herbert Lepor MD, who is a urologist at NYU’s Langone.
15. Urination Changes – Urinary symptoms include a general change in bladder function, small amounts of urine, frequent urination, blood in the urine and slow urine flow. All of these symptoms can be a result of enlarged prostate gland in men, and urinary tract infections (usually) in women.
If you have any of these symptoms make sure to visit a doctor and get checked.
Source: ba-bamail.com, organicsolutionsportal.com, positivemed.com