Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Firefighters Issue Warning About The One Place You Should Never, Ever Charge Your Phone

Everyone loves and appreciates technology. We use it everyday, we rely on it everyday. However, when the things we use everyday go wrong, it can become a problem. For example, you remember the cell phone battery explosions that caused a global recall of the product? That was a pretty dire situation but not the ideal situation for the many people who like to keep their phones within a fingertip’s reach.

We all know it’s not the healthiest habit to stay glued to your cell phone at bedtime. But there’s another downside to that habit besides disrupted sleep cycles. As we stay up in bed (and fall asleep) to play games, send texts, listen to music, or use a phone’s alarm clock, we could be taking a risk.

Many of us charge our phones overnight, which causes the battery or charger to heat up. That heat is a fire hazard.

The Newton, New Hampshire Fire Department recently posted a PSA on their Facebook about the danger of sleeping with a charging device. If you or someone you know has a habit of snuggling up with their phone or tablet overnight, they need to know about this.

The announcement was accompanied by pictures of scorched sheets, which really show how dangerous leaving your phone in bed to charge can be. It can even generate enough heat to start a fire! Here’s what the fire department wrote:

“Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow. This is can be extremely dangerous. The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter.”

The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire. This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger. Please check where you & your family charge your mobile devices.

Besides the danger of batteries overheating on flammable surfaces, the actual charger itself can also overheat and catch fire. This risk is especially prevalent with chargers that show signs of fraying and/or are incompatible with the device they’re being used on.

Newton NH Fire Department

The biggest culprits are cheap, aftermarket chargers, so be sure that the charger you buy is high quality and has a compatible wattage with the devices you want to use it on.

The photos above are being shared by fire departments around the world in order to promote awareness. After responding to a house fire caused by an overheated battery/charger, an Alabama fire department shared the following tips:

– To reduce the chances of being burned if your device overheats or catches fire, don’t use it while it’s charging

– Do not leave a charging device on soft surfaces like a sofa or bed

– Replace accessories or other parts that have excessive wear – batteries, cords, etc. – because they can spark and cause a fire.

– Because we have so many more electronic devices in our bedrooms these days, taking extra precautions to prevent fires is necessary. Spread the word about charging phones in bed to your children, teens, and college kids to keep them safe!

Source: wimp.com, lovethispic.com

====

See also: 

NEVER Leave Water Bottles In Your Hot Car… Here’s Why!

US firefighters are alerting drivers to the risks of leaving bottled water in their vehicles, warning that they could pose a potential fire hazard.

“The sunlight will come through, when it’s filled with liquid, and act as a magnifying glass as you would with regular optics,” David Richardson of the Midwest Fire Department told KFOR News.”It uses the liquid and the clear material to develop a focused beam and sure enough, it can actually cause a fire, a combustion,” Richardson said.

And while the likelihood of a fire occurring is low, it does happen – just ask Idaho battery technician Dioni Amuchastegui.

In a video posted to Facebook last month, Amuchastegui shared that he was on a lunch break when he saw smoke coming from his truck. “I looked over and noticed that light was being refracted through a water bottle and was starting to catch the seat on fire.” Two burn marks were left in the seat cover.

After the close call, Amuchastegui explained that he and his colleagues conducted another test and registered the temperature. At 99 degrees celsius, it was “hot enough to burn a hole through the seat”.

When Midwest City Fire Department shared the video to their Facebook page, firefighters explained in more detail, exactly what conditions would be necessary to start a fire in a vehicle.

“The ignition point of paper is around 450 degrees (232 degrees celsius),” they wrote. “The conditions have to be just right. The bottle has to have liquid, the liquid has to be clear, the bottle has to be clear, and sunlight has to pass through it (once you have all three conditions above) at such an angle that it creates a focused point of light similar to a magnifying glass and against generally darker than white material.

“These conditions likely cannot be met in a moving vehicle or one with dark tinted windows unless it comes through the front window and the bottle is set such to meet the above conditions.”

Nevertheless, as the weather heats up, it’s certainly a good reminder to err on the side of caution and take your water bottles with you when you leave your car.

Source: http://www.essentialbaby.com.au