Many men undergo a vasectomy for birth control regularly across the world. The procedure is simple and safe. However, one must ensure that proper self-care tips are maintained right after the procedure so that the region heals quickly without any kind of health complications at all.
Vasectomy Recovery – What are the key self-care tips for fast recovery?
The vasectomy recovery process takes time, and you must follow the instructions of your doctor to ensure the region heals well. The good news is if you pay attention to these self-care tips, it will not take you very long to return to normal day-to-day activities successfully. Experts in vasectomy list the following self-care tips to help the region heal safely and fast:
- Wear underwear that is not too tight- Your genital region is still undergoing healing, so make sure the underwear you choose is not tight to cause injury or swelling in the region. The area will have stitches, so you should allow them to heal completely before you decide to wear tight underwear.
- Regular cold compress for scrotum- Gently uses an ice pack for a cold compress against the scrotum. This should be done at least 20 minutes every day. Regular cold compress against the scrotum will alleviate pain and inflammation. Use a clean and fine washcloth with ice inside for getting instant relief against any kind of swelling or pain.
- Monitor the site of surgery- Make sure you keep a close watch on the site where the vasectomy surgery was performed. In case you witness pus or any kind of bleeding, immediately contact your doctor for a check-up.
- Never miss your medicines- If your doctor has given you any medication for pain management, make sure you take them regularly. These medicines promote safe and fast healing of the spot.
- Avoid the gym and do not lift heavy objects- For the first few days right after the vasectomy, do not visit the gym and avoid lifting any kind of heavy object. Doctors generally advise you to stay at home and avoid going to work, especially if you are engaged in a lot of heavy physical labor.
- Wait for some days before bathing- Doctors advise you to wait for some days for a bath. Generally, your doctor will specify when to take a bath or a shower after the vasectomy is done.
Therefore, to completely recover from a vasectomy procedure fast, keep the above self-care tips in mind. The duration for complete vasectomy recovery will span from a few weeks to a month. Make sure you are regular with your check-ups and medications. If you notice any kind of bleeding, pain, or inflammation, seek the medical intervention of your doctor at once. Avoid lifting very heavy objects and stay away from the gym for the first few days. Pay attention to the quality of underwear you wear- it should not be tight-fitting to cause injury to your stitches in the genital area. For pain management, apply cold compress several times in a day and keep your doctor informed about your recovery progress too!